Heart disease is a broad term that comprises heart disorders in its entirety without any exception. While heart disease mentions issues and deformities concerning the heart, cardiovascular disease, in comparison, relates to matters concerning the blood vessels and circulatory system of the heart. The most alarming aspect about heart disease, according to the Centre for Disease Control (CDC), is that the cardinal reason for deaths in the United Kingdom, United States, Canada, and Australia can be attributed to this specific condition – with one in every four deaths in the US.
The recuperation from a cardiac procedure, or to survive with conditions like congestive heart failure or high blood pressure, may require continued care for you to indulge in the exploit of things you cherish. To witness the evolution from being vulnerable to that effervescent you – a healthy treatment is the panacea.
There are two principal courses of treatment for heart disease. The first phase involves the usage of medication. If this method is not efficacious, surgical options are accessible as a remedy.
There exists a vast miscellany of medication for the preponderance of heart conditions.
- Anticoagulant: For the treatment of specific blood vessels, heart, and lung conditions.
- Antiplatelet agent: Prevents the formation of blood clots by impeding blood platelets from adhering.
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor: Dilates blood vessels and reduces resilience by lowering levels of angiotensin II. It enables the blood to flow effortlessly, thereby making the working of the heart more efficient.
- Beta-blocker: Reduces the heart rate and cardiac output, and this, in turn, decreases blood pressure. Hence, the heart beats at a slow pace and with reduced force.
- Angiotensin II receptor block: Unlike ACE inhibitor that reduces levels of angiotensin II, this receptor blocker prevents this chemical from having any effect on the heart and blood vessels. Thus, it aids in stabilized blood pressure.
With the help of your doctor, you can obtain the right medication that is secure and constructive. The search for the right medicine will also aid you in combatting underlying conditions that affect the heart, such as diabetes, before it turns into a menace.
Surgery is a comprehensive option but will require time for recovery. However, in the advanced stages of heart disease, when medications fail, the best alternative that exists is heart surgery.
- Angioplasty: This process involves a balloon catheter that is introduced to expand narrowed blood vessels that cause restricted blood flow to the heart.
- Bypass surgery: For people with blocked arteries, this surgery enables blood to reach those blocked parts of the heart.
- Artificial heart valve surgery: Replaces a defective heart valve with a healthy one.
- Heart transplant: Substitutes a malfunctioning heart with a donated healthy human heart.
- Radiofrequency ablation: A procedure in which a catheter with an electrode at the tip is directed from the veins to the heart muscles for exterminating carefully selected heart muscle cells specific to a small area.